Westray Development Trust, on behalf of the community, also owns a number of other assets including:
- Land at Gallowhill (with part of this bunded and currently leased out)
- The access road to the community wind turbine at Gallowhill, and the land on which the turbine stands.
- A small turbine at the Kalisgarth Care Centre that provides power to the centre. Income from this turbine is passed to Friends of Kalisgarth, to help them further the charitable work that benefits Kalisgarth residents and other users of the centre.
- Land at Sand of Gill (picnic and parking area)
- WDT also helped facilitate the consolidation of the Quoygrew archaeological site
- A small turbine at the Hofn centre.
The Westray Development Trust Office is located at 1 Quarry Road, Westray, Orkney, KW17 2DF.
Before we were based at Quarry Road WDT we were based in an office space very generously provided at the Westray Parish Kirk. However, with the business of WDT expanding, it was realised that the office was becoming a little too small and so we started looking at possibilities for new office premises.
By March 2012 the trust had begun negotiations with the owner of Unit 1 on Quarry Road, and in May 2012 our offer was accepted and the deal was in the hands of lawyers. As soon as we had possession, we started looking for contractors to carry out the works to transform the industrial space into new offices and were pleased to be able to use a local builder for this. It took some time before the new office was furnished, the stacks and stacks of paperwork transferred from the current office, boxes of old papers brought down from the attic and sorted, and the office back to normal, but by the beginning of October 2012 phones and internet had been connected and staff were working from the new premises. Just before Christmas 2012 the new sign for the door arrived and was put up.