Our mission is to develop the economic, social, and cultural sustainability of our community by harnessing the quality of our resources people and island environment.
Westray Development Trust is a company limited by guarantee (SC201004) and a registered charity (SC029471). Membership is open to any person over the age of 18 whose main residence is Westray. Board members are elected by the members of the trust at the AGM.
The charitable objectives of the trust are;
- To provide in the interests of social welfare, facilities for recreation and other leisure time occupation available to the public at large in Westray with a view to improving their conditions of life.
- To advance education and in particular to promote opportunities for learning for the benefit of the general public.
- To protect and/or preserve the environment for the benefit of the general public.
- To provide or assist in the provision of housing for people in necessitous circumstances within Westray.
- To relieve poverty particularly among the residents of the island of Westray.
- To advance the arts, heritage, culture and science.
- To relieve those in need by reason of age, ill-health, disability, financial hardship or other disadvantage (includes relief given by the provision of accommodation and care).
- To regenerate the community of Westray by the maintenance or improvement of the physical, social and economic infrastructure.
- To promote, establish, operate and/or support other schemes and projects of a charitable nature for the benefit of the community of Westray.
Westray Development Trust also wholly owns the trading subsidiary Westray Renewable Energy Ltd, which is the company that manages the community turbine.