Bayview was purchased from Orkney Islands Council in 2019 thanks to funding support from the Scottish Land Fund.
Following several meetings and discussions with potential funders, OIC, and others, Westray Development Trust proposed the refurbishment of Bayview to help address the acute shortage of housing in Westray.
The project was for the renovation of the former Harbour Master’s House at Gill Pier into four 1-2 bedroom flats. These will be available for rent and will contribute to increasing and diversifying the housing options available in Westray.
WDT will be working with a local letting agent to manage the flats on our behalf, subject to a housing allocations policy developed with community input.
- July 2019 – With £150,000 funding support from the Scottish Land Fund, Westray Development Trust purchased Bayview from Orkney Islands Council with the intention to convert the property into four flats.
- Planning Permission and Building Warrant achieved. The tender exercise was successful, and Daniel Harcus Construction was selected as the contractor for the renovation work.
- September 2020 – Scottish Government Islands Housing Fund awards £380,000 grant to Westray community affordable housing project.
- November 2020 – Renovation works begin at Bayview. Community consultation on the first draft of the WDT Local Lettings Policy (allocations).
- October 2021 – Project extended. This project was delayed beyond the original planned completion. This was due to labour shortages, as well as supply chain and subcontractor delays.
- November 2021 – Second community consultation on the final draft of the WDT Local Lettings Policy (allocations) for Bayview. Policy adopted.
- 2022 – Building work continued. Remaining utilities connected. Landscaping and planting progressed. Fire doors and internal fittings installed. Subcontractors’ delays continued to hold up progress.
- March 2023 – Landlord registration approved and added to Scottish Landlord Register. Letting agent Terms of Engagement reviewed. Rental rates review in progress.
- May 2023 – Letting agent Terms of Engagement agreed. Bayview maintenance requirements reviewed. Emergency maintenance contact person sought.
- June – August 2023 – Building works neared completion. Blinds, fixtures and flooring fitted, appliances installed, and snagging list drawn up. Letting brochures approved, and rental rates set in line with local affordable housing.
- September 2023 – External works completed. Snagging list in final stages of completion. Standard of Repair certification obtained, as required for properties in the private rented sector.
- October 2023 – Works inspection. Completion Certificate pending.