The board have agreed to pay the costs of a survey for the Learning Centre.
With work progressing well on the golf course, the Golf Club put in a bid for funding to purchase a tractor. The board decided to award £6000 towards the cost of this.
Fireworks were purchased for the Queens Jubilee celebration in Westray, with the remainder being used at the community bonfire night later in the year. As this was such a well-attended and enjoyable event, the trust will be repeating the sponsorship for a community bonfire night organised by the Westray Senior Youth Club in 2013.
The group fundraising for the cultural exchange visit from Malawi to Westray which includes two children from the Westray School’s partner school in Malawi, have been awarded £1000 towards the cost of activities that will involve the local children.
The Hofn youth group have been awarded £350 towards the purchase of a new TV and digital TV viewing system. They have agreed to fundraise towards the cost of the TV licence.
12 teenagers from Westray and 5 from Papay (accompanied by 6 leaders) had a very enjoyable but exhausting trip to London with the Parish Kirk Youth Group. They spent six nights (20-26th October) staying in the Central London area of Kennington/North Lambeth. Alongside a number of more predictable tourist visits, the group
– Found out about a major new prison rehabilitation project
– Were shown around the Wimbledon Tennis Complex
– Sailed up the Thames in a WW2 amphibious landing craft
– Rocked to Queen at the “We Will Rock You” musical
– Spiralled upside-down at Thorpe Amusement park
– Attended a thrilling Fulham v Everton match at Craven Cottage
– And were guests of honour at a “Lambeth Scottish Ceilidh”
Westray Development Trust was one of a number of funders (including local fundraising efforts) who made this happen.