- Thanks to Scottish Land Fund funding we have now brought Bayview into community ownership! (July 2019)
- Planning Permission achieved.
- Building Warrant achieved.
- The tender exercise was successful and Daniel Harcus Construction was selected as the contractor for the renovation work.
- The application for Rural & Island’s Housing grant funding was submitted.
- September 2020 – “We are pleased to announce that we have been successful in our application to the Scottish Government’s Islands Housing Fund! £380,000 has been awarded towards the renovation of Bayview into four flats which will be available for rent.”
- November 2020 – Renovation works begin at Bayview.
- November 2020 – Community consultation on the first draft of the WDT allocations policy for Bayview.
- October 2021 – Project extended.
- November 2021 – Second community consultation on the final draft of the WDT Local Lettings Policy (allocations) for Bayview. (Results published at the bottom of this webpage).
- 1st April 2022 – New projected completion date.
This project has been delayed beyond the original planned completion at the end of October 2021. This is due to labour shortages, as well as supply chain and subcontractor delays. A new projected completion date is to be confirmed but is expected to be around late March 2022.
Following several meetings and discussions with potential funders, OIC, and others, Westray Development Trust proposed the refurbishment of Bayview to help address the acute shortage of housing in Westray.
The project will renovate the former Harbour Master’s House at Gill Pier into four 1-2 bedroom flats. These will be available for rent and will contribute to increasing and diversifying the housing options available in Westray.
Onsite parking will be provided for the new residents.
We will be working with a local letting agent to manage the flats on our behalf, subject to a new housing allocations policy we will develop with community input.
The Project Need
In order to have a final confirmation that the community still desired housing development in Westray, we sent out a Housing Needs Survey in February 2018. There were 27 responses, a good workable number. They all showed that there is a continued need for housing to be developed.