- Thanks to Scottish Land Fund funding we have now brought Bayview into community ownership! (July 2019)
- Planning Permission achieved.
- Building Warrant achieved.
- Tender Exercise was successful and Daniel Harcus Construction has been selected as the contractor for the renovation work.
- Application for Rural & Island’s Housing Funding has been submitted and we are awaiting the results.
- September 2020 – We are pleased to announce that we have been successful in our application to the Scottish Government’s Islands Housing Fund! £380,000 has been awarded towards the renovation of Bayview into four flats which will be available for rent.
- November 2020 – Works begin at Bayview.
- November 2020 – Community consultation on WDT allocations policy.
Following several meetings and discussions with potential funders, OIC, and others, Westray Development Trust proposed the refurbishment of Bayview to help address the acute shortage of housing in Westray. The project will provide four apartments (1 or 2 bedrooms).
Onsite parking will be provided for the new residents.
We will be working with a third party to manage the flats on our behalf, subject to a new housing allocations policy we will develop with community input.
The Project Need
In order to have a final confirmation that the community still desired housing development in Westray, we sent out a Housing Needs Survey in February 2018. There were 27 responses, a good workable number. They all showed that there is a continued need for housing to be developed.
On the strength of this last survey in conjunction with the work already completed by the Highlands Small Communities Housing Trust, the feedback from the potential funders and levels of staffing hours required to complete the applications.