- Thanks to Scottish Land Fund funding we have now brought Bayview into community ownership! (July 2019)
- Planning Permission achieved.
- Building Warrant Application has been submitted.
- Tender document is being finalised.
- Alternate heating solution for Bayview which utilises waste heat from Westray Processor fridges/freezers is being explored.
- Application for Rural & Island’s Housing Fund has been drafted and is awaiting tender results before submission.
Following several meetings and discussions with potential funders, OIC, and others, Westray Development Trust proposed the refurbishment of Bayview to help address the acute shortage of a housing in Westray. The project will provide four apartments (1 or 2 bedrooms) in the main building.
Onsite parking will be provided for the new residents.
We are also approaching the Rural Housing Fund for grant assistance with the costs of developing the site.
We will be working with a third party, Registered Social Landlord to manage the flats on our behalf, subject to a new housing policy we will develop.
The Project Need
In order to have a final confirmation that the community still desired housing development in Westray, we sent out a Housing Needs Survey in February 2018. There were 27 responses, a good workable number. They all showed that there is a continued need for housing to be developed. The survey was not intended to replace the previous work undertaken over the last 3 years but to give the Board confidence that the need was still present.
On the strength of this last survey in conjunction with the work already completed by the Highlands Small Communities Housing Trust, the feedback from the potential funders and levels of staffing hours required to complete the applications. It was decided not to develop new-build housing at this busy time with the renovation of an existing property (Bayview) into several 1 – 2 bedroom flats being a more achievable goal
This project is managed by;
Julian Barnett; Operations Manager
Isobel Thompson; Project Officer
Andrew Seatter; WDT Chair of the Board
Gill McEwen; WDT Director